Story of the week
Agricultural Extension and Economics
The Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension offers research options in both Agricultural Economics, and Agricultural Extension and Rural Development. It has the capability to drive the laudable goal of the University at raising solution providers in the fields of agriculture. The curriculum is designed to help produce graduates that will revolutionize farming in Nigeria and beyond. The graduates from this Department are expected to have the requisite knowledge of conducting feasibility studies to determine and decide on a profitable venture, accurately forecast prospects, capable of monitoring and evaluation of projects, and understanding the working dynamics of farm related enterprises, resource allocation and marketing of agricultural products. They have also been taught the benefits of outreach programmes that will impact sustainable farming technology, farm and crop management skills, storage and marketing positively on the people through the propagation of agricultural practices in Nigeria and beyond. This is in addition to the evolution and adaptation of modern methods in the dissemination of agricultural research findings to local (grassroot), national and international farming communities.
- To enhance students’ acquisition of the understanding of basic natural science concepts in agriculture;
- To enhance students’ comprehension of agricultural science concepts, principles, theories and skills in crop production, livestock production, and soil management, fisheries and renewable resources;
- To inculcate in students fundamental principles, theories and knowledge in all branches of agricultural economics including production, farm management, marketing, policy and development, finance, project monitoring and evaluation;
- To equip students with skills to work in an interdisciplinary environment and collaborate with technical scientists in developing new technologies that improves yield, nutritional qualities, storage values and various prototype equipments for agro –businesses;
- To equip students with skills for carrying out economic analysis, feasibility studies, establishing appropriate monitoring and impact assessment mechanisms for Local, States and Federal governments, NGO’s , and international agencies;
- To equip students with relational skills that can strengthen linkages with private and public enterprises.
- To make our research finding available to local, national and international communities.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest news and updates by signing up to our daily newsletter.